La Roux | ‘Tropical Chancer’ [full studio version]
I just wrote a short story and I’m happy.
photos by gerry ellis from the david sheldrick wildlife trust, a nursery and orphanage for elephants in kenya’s tsavo east national park. here, fifty five keepers are charged with being around the clock parents to an elephant. the elephants, however, are the ones who chose their caretakers; it is the keepers who must ingratiate themselves to the elephants and earn their trust.
when elephants first arrive at the orphanage they are often traumatized from having witnessed the slaughter of their mothers and family by poachers. grieving can last several months, and they often lose the will to live. but as dame daphne sheldrick, founder of the orphanage, explains, a caretaker is charged with “persuading an elephant to live when it wants to die.”
approximately 35,000 elephants are killed by humans every year. with an estimated 350,000 elephants left in the whole continent of africa, they will be gone in the wild within ten years.
cbc’s the nature of things did a program on the elephants and their caretakers. you can foster an elephant with the david sheldrick wildlife trust online here. for more on the emotional lives of elephants, as well as the david sheldrick wildlife trust and other human efforts to save them, check out these posts
The world is weird, man. Weird and kinda beautiful.
these are amazing
masculinity is so funny to me bc men deprive themselves of the best things in life in order to achieve it like ….fuzzy socks, fun fruity pink drinks, spa days, lifetime movies, expressing positive feelings in a healthy way, being a warm genuine person
Fill this in with stuff about you
- Age: 21
- Where I’m from: Kiel, Germany
- Where I would like to live: UK
- Favorite food: Fried rice
- Religion: none
- Single/taken: single
- Favorite book(s): Frankenstein, Lolita, The Picture of Dorian Gray, Watchmen, Homo Faber, Perfume, 1984 (I could go on forever)
- Random fact about me: I'm halfway through my college education now
- Favorite day of the year: 16 October
- If I have any pets: nope
- What I’m listening to right now: Duologue - Push It
- What my name means: Well, it's derived from the Greek God of Wine, Dionysius, which fits perfectly well to me